The most frequently asked question I see on forums or am asked from freelancers just starting out is, “How do you find clients?”
Finding clients is definitely one of the biggest struggles in the freelance world, but it’s only as difficult as you make it out to be.
There are many great articles on generating client leads, but here’s the true secret to finding new clients… And it’s not even really a secret:
Don’t take notes – take action!
Instead of reading an article and just taking notes – take action and put those notes to use.
The clients aren’t going to know you exist unless you put yourself out there – and the sooner you take action, the sooner you’ll have more clients in your inbox.
“The secrets to life are hidden behind the word cliché!” – Shay Carl
I use this quote above, because it really works!
Let’s take action!
If you’re ready for more work, then let’s take action – Right now! Do the below tasks right now or write them down and do them whenever convenient:
- Tweet that you’re available for work:
“I’m currently available for design work! Get at me if in-need of web or graphic design services.
- Post that you’re available for work on Facebook. (Be sure you’re linking to your website and the thumbnail preview is showing.)
- Explain to your family and text your friends what you’re doing. Let them know that you’d appreciate it if they’d help spread the word.
- Send out an email to old instructors/teachers, friends in the industry, etc. – let them know what you’re doing. See if they might have any leads you can contact.
- Email a satisfied client and ask for referrals.
- Google search local businesses in your area, go to their website, and “cold-call” email them with a work inquiry.
“Hi [client name],
I hope all is well. I’m Brent Galloway, a full-time freelance graphic designer here in Central Ohio. I’m contacting you to determine whether you have any occasional or ongoing need for web or print design work.
I have some open spots this month for design work, so if there’s any work you need help with, I’m always available.
Here are some of the main services I offer: Logo / brand identity, web design, website maintenance, SEO, and print design.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :)
I hope you’re having a great day!
Keep Growing Awareness
I’m hoping you’ve taken some action and accomplished majority of the list above… but there’s more that can be done over time that will help generate awareness and more client leads.
Here are some helpful links with even more ideas for generating new clients:
- 101 Ideas to Get More Freelance Work & Generate New Client Leads
- Five Simple Tactics to Find New Clients
- How to Find Design Clients
Remember: Take action!
No matter where you are in your freelance career, you need to take immediate action instead of putting it off.
Make the mental decision to start! Don’t overthink it – just do something! I promise that if you start now and don’t quit, it’ll happen!
Sounds like a cliché, right? That’s because it really works!
I say this all the time and I’m sure you’ve heard it, “A year from now you’ll wish you had started today.” So start today!
Post a link to your tweet taking action in the comments below, and leave me your thoughts! :)
Sharing is caring: